Thursday, January 10, 2008

3 Show Monte

Last night was a rarity in doing comedy in Columbus, a multi-show night. Sure when I work at the FunnyBone we do 2 shows on friday and 3 on saturday, but this was actually a night when I did three shows in one night at three separate venues. I had to hurry between gigs and even though I was driving, it reminded me of New York, when my friend Maria and I would hurriedly jump into the back of a cab to get to another show. Also what was fun about it was the total difference between all the shows.

The first was the FunnyBone, where I was MCing, there I pretty much have to do a tight ten minutes, of stuff I know is solid and will work, because it's a very established club and you have to make sure the people get the show they expect when they buy a ticket. The next was a feature spot at a show my friend booked in Clintonville, about 15 minutes away, and I did about a half hour there, which still had to be somewhat polished, except it was a bar and the crowd was much smaller and so I was able to have a little more freedom to mess around with them a bit.

Finishing off the night was the weekly show at the Surly Girl Saloon on high street. It was a rare night for that show too in that there weren't a lot of comics but there was a big crowd, so myself and a few others, we were told to just do whatever time we wanted within reason. The Surly Girl has very much become my workout room, it's the place I go to just try out stuff and sort of goof off onstage. As a result it is the stage I feel the most comfortable on, and often have the most fun with.

It was funny too, when I was onstage I told a story from when I worked at my old job and a woman telling a technician that her son hadn't sodomized his ipod (true story.) and this girl in the crowd just mutters "what's sodomize mean?" Later I found out this same girl had appeared on the TV series "Beauty and the Geek." One of the other comics got her autograph, which to me, seems like the absolute most wasted use of paper and ink ever, but whatever.

1 comment:

WDS said...

Hey, sorry I couldn't make your show in da Ville. Where was it? I was in lockdown mode preparing for my interview this morning, which went well.